The Official Catweazle Fan Club

Welcome To The Catweazle Fan Club Forum

The Place where fellow Catweazle Fans can get together and discuss anything and everything that is Catweazle or The Catweazle Fan Club and MOST of all make New Friends that have yourself and Catweazle in common, as most of the members know The Catweazle Fan Club was born out of Friendship.

So let`s try and keep the The Catweazle Fan Club in the  tradition it was first Started

PLEASE NOTE

Any thread (or answers) containing an Adult Nature (including  links to other Web-Sites)   , Bad Language, Spam or  Items for Sale and that also includes eBay Items will be Removed A.S.A.P.

If the person/persons persist putting the above threads on this Forum a Ban Will Follow.

Let`s keep Catweazle the way it was back in 1970 in a word "Innocent"

The Official Catweazle Fan Club
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unfortunate Translation

Hi Carol and Jim.

'Čáryfuk' is a wonderful creation to give Catweazle the proper flavor.
It roughly translates into, 'spell caster, who whimsically uses magic.'
Who ever came up with that translation deserves kudos !!!
It is pronounced "Chaa ri f u k" The 'u' is not pronounce as an 'a'
THe hilarious English way to say it is priceless though !!!.
Is that why they gave it a PG 13 ????

I think I understand why the translator didn't attempt to do 'Touchwood'
The 2 words would be Touch = dotek or dotknout.
Wood = dřevo.
It could have been done …. Dřevodotek…. mayhap mayhap.

BUT the word dřevo is also a derogatory term meaning 'daft, dummy, thick as a brick'

As a born Çzech, I am very impressed with the perfectly captured nuance of Čáryfuk and in my birth language it does Catweazle honor.

By the way, Carol would you know if it was ever aired in Czechoslovakia?
I have NEVER heard of it there.

Adara Roze, USA.

Country USA

Re: Unfortunate Translation

Hello Adara
I think it was shown there and if a dvd has been produced in that language, then to me that would confirm it. It certainly went world wide. Thanks for the explanation of the name by the way, always good to find new things out.