TRUTH TALK FORUM:
Return to Website

WELCOME! A place where iron can sharpen iron, where spiritual milk and strong meat may be shared and received by all, where scripture can be expounded, where truth and love may be seen by the world.

To post: email totw@truthonthewb.org from your email address and ask for the password. It will be changed from time-to-time as need arises. Thank you for posting here. God bless.

! ! ! ! Truth Talk Forum ! ! ! !</B>
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Holidays are fine according to Paul

Isaiah 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts

Man does not have the approval of God to worship Him in the ways of the pagans.

Aaron proclaimed a feast to YHWH but God did not honor neither the holiday nor those who observed it.

Exodus 32:4-10 And he received them at their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool, after he had made it a molten calf: and they said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt. And when Aaron saw it, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made proclamation, and said, To morrow is a feast to the LORD. And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play. And the LORD said unto Moses, Go, get thee down; for thy people, which thou broughtest out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves: They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt. And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people: Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.

We are told to not learn the ways of worship of the heathen.

Jeremiah 10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

Deuteronomy 12:30-32 Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise. Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods. What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Paul said to not let anyone judge how you observe GODS HOLYDAYS in the ways of eating or drinking on those days.

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days

It says nothing about allowing other holidays.

In Romans 14 Paul is not talking about observing your own holidays. He is speaking of some people fasting and some eating (not fasting). In the same book he speaks on those eating vegetables(because they were worried about meat being offered to idols) and those eating meats.

The Expositor's Bible Commentary links the question of eating or abstaining from meat with that of observing or not observing certain days: "The close contextual association with eating suggests that Paul has in mind a special day set apart for observance as a time for feasting or as a time for fasting" (The Expositor's Bible Commentary, vol. 10, p.146).

The Didache stated: "Don't fast on the same day with hypocrites (Pharisees), for they fast on Monday and Thursday; but you must fast "Paul's statement in Romans 14:2, 'One believes he may eat anything, while the weak man eats only vegetables' (R.S.V.) is curiously analogous to his thought in verse 5, 'One man esteems one day as better than another, while another man esteems all days alike' (R.S.V.). He mentions the two cases together, and later in the chapter he declares that a man should not be judged by his eating (verses 10-13), which may imply that Paul is referring to fast days. It appears quite probable from the context that Paul here is correlating the eating with the observance of days. Most likely--although it is impossible to ascertain this--the apostle is dealing with fast days in a context of either partial or total abstinence.

Here again the Essenes may have caused the problem It is certainly significant that besides abstaining from meat and wine--at least at times--they were also very specific in the matter of observing days. They sanctified certain days that were not observed by the general stream of Jews..." [Raoul Dederen, "On Esteeming One Day as Better Than Another--Romans 14:5, 6," in The Sabbath in Scripture and History, ed. Kenneth A. Strand (Washington D.C.: Review and Herald, 1982), pp. 335, 336]

"Some pertinent observations emerge now that could well tie in the matter of diet with that of esteeming certain days above others. The Essenes scrupulously abstained from meat and wine--at least at times. They added certain feast days to the regular Jewish calendar. The discussion over the point existed in Jewry prior to the advent of Christianity. Could it be that the controversy was carried over into the Christian church and finds itself reflected in Romans 14? In this case, the practice of the weak may be compared with the early Christian custom indicated in the Didache of fasting twice every week. Is it not significant, and relevant as well, that we have in this document too a matter of diet and days connected in a controversial issue?" (Ibid., pp. 336, 337)

Paul kept God's Holydays .. he never observed the 'christianized' pagan holiday called Christmas. Not Once. For more on keeping God's Holydays see Should I Be Observing the Biblical Holydays?

link:http://members.aol.com/kenhoeck/whyfeast.html

The bible is a continous saga. Only the sacrifices of animals ceased in Christ.

Email: TruthOnWeb@aol.com

Re: Re: Well, isn't that typical

No wonder why we have so many different divisions in the church today ... instead of reading the Bible for what it clearly says, everyone has to pick other scriptures against scriptures and then pull in commentaries (written by men) to justify their own position instead of readily admitting that they were wrong. Quit twisting the scriptures! You are treading with the father of discord!

Deist

Very good posts Ken.

God has never looked, in any way...with favor...worship that is imngled with ANY degree of paganism.

COME VISIT US AT WWW.TRUTHONTHEWEB.ORG