I remember how bad I felt when I received the news that the old K of C house on Jamaica Avenue burned down. That was such a great building for our Council parties and meetings with the dance floor on the first level, card playing rooms and food service on the upper floors. I heard that the fire started with a painter's blow torch. He was removing old paint from the siding, but the siding must have been too dry to withstand the heat.
My last memory of our Council's meeting place, before I departed Brooklyn for good, was of a low, concrete building, not at all as nice as the old house.
Joe Di Mento