Our Lady of Loreto

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Our Lady of Loreto
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ariola's Bakery

Phyllis,
I lived in Valley Stream for 37 years until I moved to Wantagh. I had pastry in that Cafe and bought pastry to bring home. Why didn't I know it was Ariola's?

Gen...............I don't know, but I took the effort to ask them if they made the pastries there and they said no, they were from Ariola's...........they were in city line at the time.......

Wow! I knew they were good and they weren't made on the premises but I never knew they were from Ariola's. My parents lived in City Line before they moved to Franklin Square and she would bring me a Cassata Cake from Ariola's in City Line for my Birthday every year because she knew it was my favorite.

They had the best Italian bread. My brother would go there every day and buy bread for dinner. Whatever bread was left over, the next day my mother would cut it up in a bowl and then pour hot coffee with lots of hot milk and sugar over the stale bread. We would have that for breakfast.

that was a good breakfast,nothing went to waste, My mom would cut up thestale italian bread and put it in salads,better then croutons...I lived across the street from colonial bakery,we would buy the bread hot and put oil on it,salt and pepper and some oregano ,that was so good. that was a snack.We should share some of our moms old recipes,Im sure we all would enjoy reading them.

My family immigrated to the United States in 1956 - I was four years old. We were enrolled at OLL because the relatives told my parents how bad the public schools were.

I was always embarrassed to eat my lunch at school -- my friends would have typical American sandwiches. However, my mom would pack me eggplant sandwiches, meatball sandwiches, egg and peas, etc. They would always make a face and say "what is that you're eating today."

Now they would be considered gourmet sandwiches :)

Grace.................if those other people didn't like what you brought for lunch...............it was tough cookies for them.............there is nothing worse than ignorance in the world.............always give another person the benefit of the doubt. They sound like gourmet lunches to me..............my father would eat eels at christmastime and tripe, etc......for him, it was a tradition and we had to respect that.

As one great person said, never forget where you came from or you'll never know where you are going.

Wowphyllis u took that really bad,they were kids making fun of luncheons..Im sure today they would have loved eating those sandwiches...yu mentioned tripe and eels,I make eels on christmas eve,,and my mom always made tripe,,I try to make it but its not the same..I do ok with the eels,,but not the tripe..but I keep trying.the old recipes from our parents are the best..yes people made fun of them ,but not now....

Oh, Margaret, what I wouldn't give for a bowl of tripe and a loaf of Italian bread. I don't know anyone who makes it.. I don't even see it on menus.
We also had all the fish on Christmas eve. Smelts, eels, baccala (hot & cold), clams, shrimp, etc. I still do it, but very few of the family still eat it.

Hi Carol... Aldo on crossbay makes it, and its very good> you should call and ask if he has it, if not order it..I think u will enjoy it. I make the fish also on the eve...I guess I will see u at the shower, take care. M

OLL- Is that Our Lady of Loreto in Brooklyn. I went there also.

Yes, it is one and the same church and school. The school has been torn down and the church has been de-churched or whatever you call it. I think it might become a community center. It was on the corner of Pacific and Sackman Streets.
Did you graduate from OLL or go to the school.

DO YOU HAVE A BROTHER JOEY IF SO WE HUNG OUT ON GUNTHER PLACE FRANK

Ariola's made my wedding cake years ago and I still cannot find ANY cake or pastry that is as good. Since then I moved from NY and sorry to say you can only get the original cakes and pastry in NY. Ariola's is the best!!!!