The Official Catweazle Fan Club

Welcome To The Catweazle Fan Club Forum

The Place where fellow Catweazle Fans can get together and discuss anything and everything that is Catweazle or The Catweazle Fan Club and MOST of all make New Friends that have yourself and Catweazle in common, as most of the members know The Catweazle Fan Club was born out of Friendship.

So let`s try and keep the The Catweazle Fan Club in the  tradition it was first Started

PLEASE NOTE

Any thread (or answers) containing an Adult Nature (including  links to other Web-Sites)   , Bad Language, Spam or  Items for Sale and that also includes eBay Items will be Removed A.S.A.P.

If the person/persons persist putting the above threads on this Forum a Ban Will Follow.

Let`s keep Catweazle the way it was back in 1970 in a word "Innocent"

The Official Catweazle Fan Club
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Catweazle - The Movie ?

Hello, Carol and Gary, just read your newsletter about the forthcoming Catweazle-movie ... it is a shame Geoffrey will not be cast in it ... he should be allowed to play a little part, even if it would only a be a cameo-appearance (as Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum had one in the remake of the classic "Cape Fear") ... he deserves this for his outstanding and timeless credit and merit to the original role ! Richard Carpenter also could as well ask the other actors still active and alive like Moray and Elspet to join in the movie ... anyway, "Catweazle" always will only be Geoffrey and the classic series ! Rhys Ifans as "Catweazle", hard to cotton to this ...of course a Catweazle-movie would generate a huge interest in the original series once again ... but I prefer no movie at all ... because you cannot top the timeless charm of this serries and you cannot top Geoffrey´s performance ... what´s the opinion of the other members concerning this ?

Town/City Regensburg

Country Germany

Re: Catweazle - The Movie ?

Dear Bernd, I couldn't agree more. Geoffrey should have a part in the film if he is willing but only as an older Catweazle, no one else. Another of my favourites is the sixties series 'Lost in Space'. This was remade as a movie in 1998 with some of the original cast members in minor cameo roles. The film was dire and I wish the original actors had never taken part.Geoffrey IS Catweazle and I don't believe any actor could capture the charm and innocence he brought to the role. Remakes of classics rarely work and I am sure the 'magic' of the original can not be recreated

Town/City Gravesend Kent

Country UK

No other actor could be Catweazle who lives on this Planet!
Even Richard said he wrote Catweazle with ONLY Geoffrey in his mind as a TV series,this has been said many many times and I will say it again WHY WAS IT NOT MADE INTO A FILM OVER 30 YEARS AGO?????
There must be a fascinating story why Catweazle was never made into a film 30 odd years ago, but we will never hear the real facts,it would most probably make a good film.
But the ONLY thing we can hope for are the new people the film is going to attract to the original series.

Town/City Blackburn

Country England

Methinks we are probably of the generation that grew up with "proper" films and actors and all subsequent remakes of our childhood favourites have been absolute travesties. Think of what they did with Alaister Simms in St Trinians,or the remake of The Lady Killers or The Beverly Hillbillies. Or Get Smart or My favourite Martian.
I've no idea who this Rhys Iffans bloke is to be honest but whoever he is, he's no Geoffrey.There'll never be another Geoffrey. Or Robin. It just can't be, in our minds eye.If I go and see the new one when it comes out they are the ones who will be present in my head all the way through.It might make it commercially
but emotionally it will pale into insignificance agaist the original and best. It's a generational thing for me. And for me,just personally, it just won't work. Sorry.

Town/City stockport

Country uk

Though Geoffrey is indeed ever the only true Catweazle let us still get behind the new film for Richard's sake; the true creator of our magic after all. Catweazle on the big screen could generate interest in the original series and even procur funding for the audio release of the missing third series? If only this film had been made in the 1970's with the original crew, what a charming time piece it would have become, like the filmed Railway Children mayhap? But Richard, if you read this forum, please please reconsider Geoffrey for a part in the new film, it would be pure symmetry and close the circle.

Town/City Westcliff-on-Sea

Country Essex

Besides the wonderful story, written and created
by Richard Carpenter - Catweazle for me above all,
is a character and that is Geoffrey!

Town/City Wetzlar

Country Germany

I wonder whether the thinking behind the non inclusion of Geoffrey is that due to the calibre of the man he would simply vastly overshadow all the other performances.

I'm struggling to justify the role going to anyone else I really am.

be good,

David.

Town/City Molesworth Tasmania

Country Australia

I can't really add much to what has already been written, except to say that I won't be watching any so-called "Catweazle" movie without at least a cameo appearance by its one and only star - we all know who that is. The only positive as I see it is that such a film would hopefully point viewers to the original two series so that they could see the genuine article for themselves. (Why do the words "stab" and "back" keep coming to mind?)

Town/City Shipley, West Yorkshire

Country England

Dear Bernd and other Catweazle fans who commented on the movie,

I, like you all, are totally against the idea of a Catweazle film. Number 1, and most importantly, Geoffrey is, and always will be Catweazle. No-one on this planet will ever replace Geoffrey as Catweazle. Two, a modern updated version of Catweazle would not work. Would it have a rural setting? Or in a concrete jungle housing estate? Who, and what type of character would replace Carrot? Would the storylines be modern and pc? My four year old daughter, Nicole might be interested in it, but I certainly wouldn't. I can't even bring myself to watch the modern Doctor Who. Not only because the stories are dire, but because I grew up with Jon Pertwee, and he will always be Doctor Who. If Richard wants to win Catweazle fans over to the idea of warming to the idea ( a little bit ) I think he should put fans' minds at ease and let everyone know what the plot, and answers to the above entail, as well as letting Geoffrey having a cameo role in it.

I know some fans have said, a new film might increase interest in the fan club and original series, but I still believe the idea should be shelved. Let's keep Catweazle as the magical series we loved ( and our kids love ), as kids and not tinker with or spoil it's good name.

Town/City BELFAST

Country UK

i think we all think along the same lines! do we really need a catweazle movie (WITHOUT geoffrey bayldon)?
i think there are some pro's and con's.
firstly, there can never be too many new catweazle fans. the more the merrier! and maybe a movie will remind people about that lovely series from the early seventies and thus spark a true revival?
however, it is rather odd that mr bayldons involvement was firmly rejected, especially on the grounds of being "confusing" for the viewer. there are so many movies etc using different actors for the same role, and it works out wonderfully. another slightly strange idea is the investment scheme. apart from the fact that i, being a fan, would rather be invovled in the decision making than in providing money, i wonder whether i really WOULD make a profit. i want to give the whole project the benefit of the doubt (and i desperately want to see it!!) but i am a bit worried and surprised. we will find out sooner or later, looking forward to updates!

A few negative comments have come out on this forum and I'm a little disappointed that, for the support Richard gives the club, we can't fully support him for this project in return.

It goes without saying that no one will ever replace Geoffrey for us as Catweazle but no one is asking that he be replaced. The original series will live on forever in our hearts, at Hexwood, through this club and on our TV's via DVD.

Maybe the new production will be diabolical and therefore the comments on this forum justified, but with Richard penning it and Rhys (who I think a fine actor and a good choice for the role) starring in it, then it might just fall into the minority group of films that work with a remake.

There's no question that every one of us would have preferred this 30 years ago with all the favourite faces but we can't re-write history and so I for one will be waiting excitedly for the release of this movie in Australia.

Geoffrey, Robin, Bud and Neil will always be our Catweazle family and nothing can take that away from us but to introduce a 21st century generation of viewers to our Norman time-traveller to me, is pure magic.

Town/City Melbourne

Country Australia

hi again, the comments i have seen on this subject,some of them i can hardly beleive! i mean,albert and nicole, you dislike the idea? and you dislike the new dr who's? that show is now more successful than in its tom baker heyday,sorry to speak about it here btw, and my boys love it so much that they then WANTED to see the ORIGINALS!!! and they love them more than the new ones!AND they love catweazle, which is my point here....
ANYTHING that brings attention to the magic that geoffrey and robin,and all of those fine actors we adore from the original created, would be the BEST thing to happen...why?
because for some reason(we know) they have been all but forgotten in the fickle world of tv land, and that aint on pardon the essexism!...
one thing i will say though is i would support this venture and invest in it if i had the money...but only if they stuck by their words and let us all have some input,i.e LET GEOFFREY HAVE A PART IN IT!!!

Town/City essex

Country england

the more I am thinking about it - and reading Richard´s comments of 2008 in the 40th anniversary edition DVD - I beginn to cotton with the idea of a Catweazle movie ... but to close the circle, Geoffrey should be in it ! watched Rhys Ifans on the internet and he seems a very good choice ... but there is an ambilvalent feeling, because in heart and mind Geoffrey will always be the one and only Catweazle ... that´s what Richard also said by the way .... if I were Richard I would try to include as many actors of the original series as possible in the movie ... they deserve it and the longtime fans as well ! This would be an extra appeal to watch the movie ...

Town/City Regensburg

Country Germany

I think I understand why many people are worried about a film release. Admittedly I too feel uncomfortable about it, given the track record of TV-FILM transitions.
Also I feel that it would be fitting if Geoffrey could have at least a cameo role, as someone said it would complete the circle. However, I have to say that I have never watched anything of Richard's that I have disliked let alone loathed and he seems to me as someone who goes for quality not cash. So, let the wheel turn, maybe a new cycle will begin, maybe not.

Town/City Powys

Country Wales