British Armed Forces

Welcome to our Message Board which has been provided by the generosity of many ex. SCLI  and other light infantrymen.  All light infantrymen from the wider light infantry family are free to post a message.

Return to:  www.britisharmedforces.org/li_pages/index.htm - LI Website

Return to: www.britisharmedforces.org/scli_%20pages/index.php - SCLI Website

Return to: www.britisharmedforces.org

Forum: The Light Infantry & All Former Light Infantry Regiments
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Find my Gr Grandfather John Hudson

He joined the 68th Durham Light Infantry in September 1857.( Regimental No; 133) Spent 6 months in Drill . Embarked on the Sailing Ship Marshmoese of Londonderry at Queenstown then went to India Disembarking at Madras.From there by train to a place called Pullamelli for a few months. Then it was off to British Burma, Rangoon on the Calcutta Mail Boat. Was 2 years there , then was sent up to Typnew under Captain Oakley and Sargent Jones. No of Company was 4.........Dec 3 1863 left on the Ship The Australia bound for NZ for active service. Made a 3 day stop in Melbourne Australia then went on to NZ arriving in Auckland 3 January 1864.
The source of the following info was copied from the Book ( The NZ Medals to Colonials.) Detailed Medal roll of officers and men in Colonial units who received the NZ medal for service in the NZ wars 1845-1872.
Private; Also Private 68th Foot No 133;(26/1/1858-10/3/1866), No. 2 Coy 1st Waikato Militia (joined Tauranga 27/3/1866-); Opotiki; Waimana 1868, Whakatane 1869,and other; Born 9/1842, Leeds, Yorkshire; Collier;( I have my doubts about the birth date as it puts his age at 12 years when he joined the Militia. However I have Johns cemetery records from the Opotiki Council that he was 88 yrs old when he died in 1921. If that is correct then he was born in 1833. )Arrived aboard Australian ex Rangoon 8/1/1864; Issued 1915; 3680; AD32/860; Medal possibly named to 1st Waikato Militia.
He never went back to England.

Email  
Re: Find my Gr Grandfather John Hudson

Find my Gr Grandfather John Hudson

He joined the 68th Durham Light Infantry in September 1857.( Regimental No; 133) Spent 6 months in Drill . Embarked on the Sailing Ship Marshmoese of Londonderry at Queenstown then went to India Disembarking at Madras.From there by train to a place called Pullamelli for a few months. Then it was off to British Burma, Rangoon on the Calcutta Mail Boat. Was 2 years there , then was sent up to Typnew under Captain Oakley and Sargent Jones. No of Company was 4.........Dec 3 1863 left on the Ship The Australia bound for NZ for active service. Made a 3 day stop in Melbourne Australia then went on to NZ arriving in Auckland 3 January 1864.
The source of the following info was copied from the Book ( The NZ Medals to Colonials.) Detailed Medal roll of officers and men in Colonial units who received the NZ medal for service in the NZ wars 1845-1872.
Private; Also Private 68th Foot No 133;(26/1/1858-10/3/1866), No. 2 Coy 1st Waikato Militia (joined Tauranga 27/3/1866-); Opotiki; Waimana 1868, Whakatane 1869,and other; Born 9/1842, Leeds, Yorkshire; Collier;( I have my doubts about the birth date as it puts his age at 12 years when he joined the Militia. However I have Johns cemetery records from the Opotiki Council that he was 88 yrs old when he died in 1921. If that is correct then he was born in 1833. )Arrived aboard Australian ex Rangoon 8/1/1864; Issued 1915; 3680; AD32/860; Medal possibly named to 1st Waikato Militia.
He never went back to England

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting