Return to Website

PICK YOUR BONES CLEAN

Sawney Bean invites you to a warm, home-cooked meal. Dinner conversation is encouraged. Say what you will - at your own risk. Horror, History, Media, Scotland - and much, much more.

PICK YOUR BONES CLEAN
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hollywood History

Yes History via Hollywood sucks---the reality is sometimes more horrific than anything they can make up---

Take the movie BATTLE OF THE BULGE---it compresses one of the most critial battle of WW2 into what seems like a few days--they change names of real generals---and they use Korean War era PATTON tanks as both GERMAN and AMERICAN TANKS! It was filmed in Spain, so the snow of the ARDENNES FOREST is missing--it looks like spring for most of the film---

What's even more horrific is another program that I do enjoy if only for the anancronisms--XENA--in her lifetime she's been from Hellenistic Greece--Troy Sparta and Athens---until now she's interacting with Julius Caesar, Cleopatra and Caligula---all these historical figures and events from 500 years compressed into 5--not to mention dialog that is totally out of place---but at least the girls look good-----

This is why people are total dummes in terms of history!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hollywood loves delving into the past - occasionally they even get (some of) it right. Sometimes even when they get it wrong they tell the tale beautifully. And though not accurate, it conveys the essence of the time and the events.

Other times (MOST of the time actually), they get it terribly, terribly wrong. Embarrassingly so. The Patriot springs to mind. And Braveheart for that matter.

Costumes, attitude, events, people - all often mutated beyond belief - and for no good reason. Sometimes the true events are MUCH more entertaining. What is going through their heads? Nothing much it seems.

Re: Re: Hollywood History

Well, I think we're missing the point here. Hollywood has never been about accuracy. Movies are about entertainment, and we know what that means -- pitching everything to the lowest possible common denominator. If you want accuracy, watch the History Channel. I do. What's really dismaying is that so many people depend on movies, and nothing else, to inform them about history. This may be heresy in this computer age, but doesn't anyone READ anymore?

Re: Re: Re: Hollywood History

I sort of agree and mostly disagree. Yes, hollywood studio movies are an entertainment-first medium. And yes, if you really are interested in a subject, you should get your nose into a book, not a box of coagulated popcorn for your information, BUT...

IF a movie is going to attach itself to and sell itself as a "true-life story" or historical event, there needs to be some accountability for factual misrepresentation. Where to draw the line for content shortcuts is hard to pin down of course, but somehow, there must be SOME way to account for "dramatic license". People can't naively walk into a movie that purports to be a "biography" of some historical figure or celebrity, then have key events changed, dropped, compromised (or in hollywood's most contemptible rationalization "composited". Who would even be interested in examining factual history, if a figure is presented at the multiplex as a cartoon?

I would propose some sort of informational labelling system on movie credits, along the same lines of warnings on food products.

No, scratch that. Too weak and nobody would pay attention. Better yet: mandatory jail time for each producer, star and director, and writer for each inaccuracy found by a court-appointed panel of historical authorities. A second offense would be a mandatory slicing off of ponytails. Third strike punishable by death.

Replying to:

Well, I think we're missing the point here. Hollywood has never been about accuracy. Movies are about entertainment, and we know what that means -- pitching everything to the lowest possible common denominator. If you want accuracy, watch the History Channel. I do. What's really dismaying is that so many people depend on movies, and nothing else, to inform them about history. This may be heresy in this computer age, but doesn't anyone READ anymore?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hollywood History

Oh, I think you are being too, too kind. Hollywood is already congratulating itself over A Beautiful Mind and other stuff, telling themselves, and us, that "See, we ARE making good films. Really" - while at the same time spewing out un-endingfilth like this new "film" about two black rappers who get into Harvard. Or something. Kill them first, then hang their scalps up on the marquees of theatres all over country. A symbol of justice - and a warning.

Replying to:

I sort of agree and mostly disagree. Yes, hollywood studio movies are an entertainment-first medium. And yes, if you really are interested in a subject, you should get your nose into a book, not a box of coagulated popcorn for your information, BUT...

IF a movie is going to attach itself to and sell itself as a "true-life story" or historical event, there needs to be some accountability for factual misrepresentation. Where to draw the line for content shortcuts is hard to pin down of course, but somehow, there must be SOME way to account for "dramatic license". People can't naively walk into a movie that purports to be a "biography" of some historical figure or celebrity, then have key events changed, dropped, compromised (or in hollywood's most contemptible rationalization "composited". Who would even be interested in examining factual history, if a figure is presented at the multiplex as a cartoon?

I would propose some sort of informational labelling system on movie credits, along the same lines of warnings on food products.

No, scratch that. Too weak and nobody would pay attention. Better yet: mandatory jail time for each producer, star and director, and writer for each inaccuracy found by a court-appointed panel of historical authorities. A second offense would be a mandatory slicing off of ponytails. Third strike punishable by death.

Replying to: