Raw Shooter Forum

Please post your questions regarding the use of RSE and RSP here.  We will do our best to answer them.

Fred Spencer and Stuart Rae

Raw Shooter Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
D80/Rawshooter/NEF/DNG - all new to this

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a Nikon D80 to upgrade from a Nikon F55. I liked the look of RSE but it seemed that the D80 was not supported.

While looking at the d80 in Jessops today, they let me shoot some .NEFs onto my own SD card and i've been tryig to get them to work in RSE. Having altered the rawshooter.exe in a Hex editor (so D70 text reads D80) the files came out all corrupt. However, having converted the NEFs to DNG in Camera Raw (using PSE6)they now open in the modified RSE.

Being new to this, here is my question; is this a useful work around for using d80 NEF files in RSE and will i have lost any quality of the raw file by doing this.

Cheers,

Pete

Re: D80/Rawshooter/NEF/DNG - all new to this

Hi Pete,

What you've done is the accepted (and AFAIK the only) way to get RSE to open unsupported files.

The only problem I can see is that RSE will use the D70 camera profile for the D80, so colours may not always be absolutely correct.

Regards,

Stuart

Pete,

When you've tried your DNG files in RSE would you please be kind enough to post again with your assessment of how well it works.

Will keep this thread posted as i make any progress,

cheers, Pete

As asked, here is my attempt to show a D80 .NEF file converted to DNG and opened in RSE. To start with i used the .NEF file in UFRaw with the D80 .icc fron Nikon. Then i used RSE with the .DNG version with the internal D70 .icc. Last of all i used RSE and a modified D70 .icc from the link below.

I've got no experience in this but, the UFRaw and modified D70 versions look to be similar and certainly good enough for my needs.

The camera had the 18-135 kit lens on it for this shot.

Any thoughts?

Pete

UFRaw D80 icc (nikon supplied icc with camera)- http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Colors.html

Rawshooter D70 internal profile

Rawshooter with D70 profile from http://www.b4net.dk/rsp/

...i also tried to use the D80 .icc from the UFRaw link in RSE but it couldn't find it....i guess it is not a supported type (sorry...i really don't know much about .icc type stuff!)

Hi Pete,

Thanks for posting these examples.

As far as I can tell with the small images, the modified D70 profile is marginally better than the internal RSE one, and certainly doesn't look too bad colour-wise.

Things to look out for are how saturated reds and yellows are rendered, as these seem to be what most cameras have trouble with. If the profile has problems you may see some posterisation.

Regards,

Stuart

Pete,

I would agree with you about the two you mention looking the better ones. Red in the other one is a bit iffy to my eyes. Thanks for posting.