Soca Warriors Online Discussion Forum.

Email Login
Password
New users
'Sign in' or 'Sign up' for a free Socawarriors e-mail service.

"Talk Yuh Talk" Welcome to the Soca Warriors Football forum. This site is a site for "die hard" football(Soccer)fans, please feel free to post a article or ask any question(s) on football or the players or give us your views on any game(s), you dont have to be a member. Dont forget to return and check if someone has replyed you, thankyou, and remember, football is the world's #1 sport.®

..Next T&T game..."God Bless Our Nation"..

Back to Flex site.

Soca Warriors Online Discussion Forum.
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interviews !!!

fleX: 1. Do you think firing Ian Poterfield will be the best thing for the T&T team.

Samo: No, not at this stage,but he should have a lesser role with the team.

Touches: No! not at this point in time, only after Simoes puts a structure in place can a move as drastic as that be done. Removing Porterfield now will not be beneficial to the team.

Parlos: Yes. While we're winning, we're not playing well. Some may argue that it's only the result that counts but it seems as if we have little structure to our play from all reports. If this continues, we will lose in our WC qualifying games.

fleX: 2. Was the hiring of Rene Simoes the best move for T&T, will he be able to help T&T in anyway.

Samo:Yes. He has proven what he can do an he is a discplinarian, which is something we lack.

Touches: Yes it is the best move given the situation at hand, it should have been done sooner as time is now our biggest enemy.

Parlos: Definitely. Based on his track record with Jamaica, he is just what he needs. However, I qualify this by saying he needs to be allowed to make the necessary changes. If he is handcuffed, it's only spinning top in mud.

fleX: 3. Should Dale Saunder and Lyndon Andrews be with the T&T senior team in front of players such as Reynold Carrington, Gary Glasgow and Jerron Nixon.

Samo: There is nothing wrong with these players being groomed at this time, but they are definitely not starter material and I would only play them if we were winning a game by a large margin. They do not bring that extra that guys like Glasgow and Nixon bring.Personally I do not think very highly of Andrews and I have not seen Saunders play enough to comment.

Touches: Players should be selected based on merit, performance and current form. Every player should get a quota of games to prove themselves, but if they are unsuccessful others should be given a fair chance.

Parlos: I don't see why they can't train with the team but the question isn't really fair. Andrews and Saunders are midfielders. Glasgow and Nixon are strikers so there isn't any comparison. In my opinion, Carrington should definitely be in the first 16 players.

fleX: 4. Do you think Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy is commited to the T&T team.

Samo: Not Sure. They want to play on the biggest stage but not doing what is neccessary to get there.

Touches: Yes! despite their off the field antics, these players are committed to TT's WC cause.

Parlos: Yes but not fully. They want to qualify but they have other priorities. WC qualification is not their #1 priority. I don't think you can blame them for looking after their careers first. T&T does not pay their salaries. Remember, Rougier isn't here either.

fleX: 5. Should Bertile St Clair be reconsiderd being T&T coach.

Samo: Maybe. I was very disappointed after our loss to Mexico in the first match of the Gold Cup, and he also made some questionable substitions in that game. He has done a lot for the team, but definitely needs guidance.

Touches: Bertille is not needed at this point in time. We already have too many coaches as is. Let us forget this trend of recycling coaches and let Simoes have a free hand to introduce his philosophy.

Parlos: Maybe.

fleX: 6. Was firing Alvin Corneal as TD the right move.

Samo: Yes. I understand that he had some valid issues about his role, but I think he should have put those differences aside for the sake of the team.

Touches: This is a non issue, Alvin Corneal never really accepted the post and never fulfilled any duties. I wouldnt even say he was fired, rather he was never hired.

Parlos: Yes !

fleX 7. Should Jack Warner step down as the TTFF advisor.

Samo: No. We are always quick to criticize him and I know most of the time he deserves it, but he has also done many positives. We can always talk about what we would do, but when you are put into the same position somehow it becomes difficult to translate talk into actions.

Touches: No, Jack Warner is a very influential man in TT football and while we may think ill of him, he has done more for TT football than anyone else in history. We should give him some sort of credit and respect that he deserves. It is Mr. Oliver Camps that we should get rid of.

Parlos: No !

fleX: 8. Do you think we still need David Nakhid on the T&T squad.

Samo: Yes. Even if he is not used as a starter, he will bring more depth to the bench. He will also make Latapy's job easier.

Touches: Yes, while Nakhid may not be TT's favorite player, as many are glad he has left, he can still contribute to our cause. His experience and talent is needed as TT's midfield now cannot bring out a ball or develop any sort of constructive attacking play.

Parlos: Yes. There is no one else on the team who holds the ball and links defence to attack.

fleX: 9. Should Jerron Nixon be called back for the T&T team.

Samo: Yes. But only if he is commited.

Touches: Yes, Jerron Nixon is a must, we lack options on the left side of the field.

Parlos: Yes. To omit a player like Nixon from your team gives you less options. He is the only direct, run at a defender and take him on striker that we have.

fleX: 10. Do you think that the T&T squad(all professionals players included) play's enough warm up games in preparations for our World Cup 2002 drive.

Samo: No !

Touches: No they do not the TT "A" team needs to play together as a unit more often. At least 2 games before each WC match. In most cases the team that is selected to play a friendly match is not the same team that plays the WC qualifying games.

Parlos: To this point no. However, the Copa tournament is helping and if their is any warm up games against Peru and Brazil? it will also help.

fleX: 11. Do you think T&T need's to play more International football.

Samo: Yes. It is always better to play against better and more experienced players. This goes for every sport.

Touches: Most certainly and against higher quality opposition. Fete matches against Grenada and Guyana, and Copa Caribe games will not prepare us for the WC finals.

fleX: 12. Do you think T&T with all their professional players play as a team.

Samo: No. The players never have enough game time as a team. If you bring the 11 best players in the world a few days before a game and have the 3rd best players in the world in camp togetheir for 2-3weeks, they will definitely play with a lot more cohesion.

Touches: No we are just a professional pick up side. There is little cohesion and team dynamic. This is sad, considering many of the players have been around for quite some time.

Parlos: No !

fleX: 13. What can the TTFF do to make a change to the T&T football team which will also help the up and coming stars.

Samo: Do not know.

Touches: They are doing their best at the moment by giving all the players a run. However, it seems that many of them are not up to the task as we were defeated by Martinique, and we have not had a good showing in many of the Copa Caribe games.

Parlos: Play more practice games. Enter the local T&T squad into the PFL as a unit. Both Under 17's and Senior

fleX: 14. Was the sacking of Silvio Spann from the T&T under 20 team a good move, and how can it affect us.

Samo: Yes.If the coach had a valid reason and thought that he would adversley affect the players.

No. If he did not.

Touches: No it could never be a good move, and his abscence will not help us in any way. However, one must question the reason for his omission, it cant be due to his playing ability, so does discipline come into play? Or rather is it just sheer incompetence on the part of the coaches and technical staff.

Parlos: Don't know the circumstances so can't comment but he should be training with the senior squad just like Rahim. Jamaica does it with Shavar Thomas.

fleX: 15. Do the T&T fans support the T&T teams enough.

Samo: No. T&T are mostly made up of bandwagoneers and partiers. If we are doing well, they will be there and the parties not far behind looking for a lime.

Touches: No, fan support is poor. There are many reasons why the crowds dont come out, but they are just excuses, TT has a bandwagon mentality. Once the team starts to produce in the WC games a larger turnout can be expected.

Parlos: No. Just like most sports fans, they come along for the ride when the going is good. There are lots of "die hard" supporters who have been disillusioned with the TTFF and some of the players and have vowed not to support anymore.

fleX: 16. Do you think the FIFA 2001 World Championship which will be held in T&T be successful and how can it benefit us.

Samo: I am unsure, because I do not reside in T&T, I do not know what kind of marketing startegy is in place. I think that the games involving the big name football countries will have more people than the T&T games.

Touches: In terms of revenue it will flop as TT does not have the fan base to fill all of the stadiums. However the exposure gained by our team and the country will be beneficial. Many of the benefits will be intangible ones such as awareness by the international media, but many service industries will be able to get a boost due to the expected number of tourists visiting the country.

Parlos: If it's a successful tournament in terms of organization and staging it will be good for our profile. We need to get out of the first round for us to be taken seriously as a football nation. Otherwise, they will be right in saying the only way we can participate in a World Cup is to host it.

fleX: 17. Do you think Ian Poterfield makes the proper selection to his squad and do you think his style of high ball play can help us.

Samo: At this stage we have to play a different level of football. Teams like the USA study every game that we have played and will play to counterattack our style. We need to revert to our old style that is very hard to counter attack.

We also have better defenders than we did in the gold cup so I think the old style will work better.

Touches: Given the players at his disposal, I think Porterfield does the best he can. The only sore point I have is the ommission of Jerren Nixon, but apart from that I think the TT squad is very strong "on paper."

With regard to the long ball tactic it has gotten us this far, however, it has proven ineffective at this level and we need to adjust our plan. We must play to our strenghts and to our opponents weaknesses, only after a good mix is achieved can we expect to reap any rewards.

Parlos: Well, he will point to our results since he took over which admittedly isn't bad. However, I don't believe we will qualify if we cointinue in the same manner.

fleX: 18. Do you think Ian Poterfield pick's a squad by talent or by name, and why.

Samo: I do not know. The team seems to have 99% foreign based players, but then lesser names like Saunders and Noel are on the team.

Touches: I would say both, and I give him credit for being fair in his player selection. He has unearthed Dennis Lawrence and given Nigel Pierre a fair amount of playing time. He has given many players a run when name is a non issue, S. Mason, A. John, Demmin, T. Noel, R. Carrington to name a few, even B.Rahim to a certain extent. The rest of players have been around the national setup for some time and have numerous caps under their belt.

The problem, is that all of the players are not producing what they are capable of hence the TT squad looks ordinary and far from being the world beaters that we are.

Parlos: Don't know.

fleX: 19. Should the TTFF reduce the price of tickets, and why, how can we improve the attendence at T&T games.

Samo: Reduction in ticket price will not get that many more people attending the games. I think price has been used as an excuse. I do not know how to get more patrons at these games unless it is a free drinks fete with the game before.

Touches: No, money is not the issue, what is an issue is the attitude of the average TT fan. Football is not seen as important. People would rather go to a fete or buy beers rather than look at a football match. It is just a matter of priorities, and football is very low down the scale for the average TT fan. As I said before, the bandwagon mentality is very prevalent.

Parlos: Yes. More people, more home field advantage.

fleX: 20. If you where the Manager of the TTFF, what would you do to improve the present T&T team and also help the youths in T&T, providing you had all necessary requirements, this includes money,,,etc..

Samo: To long to answer at this time.

Touches: At this point in time, I would have a live in camp for the WC team. Training twice a day and one international friendly a week. If you are not present you do not play, simple as that.A no excuses policy must be applied.

Parlos: ??

fleX: 21. Do you think T&T will qualify for the World Cup 2002, (if no), why !.

Samo: Yes !

Touches: Yes I still have hope that TT will be able to turn around their fortunes and get the necessary results. A third place finish is possible.

Parlos: No. Too much ground to make up and our players aren't totally committed.

fleX: 22. Do you think a Local T&T squad can beat a foriegn T&T squad.

Samo: Possibly. The senior team has a lot of experience vs the locals who have the desire to make the team and also playing time as a unit.

Touches: No, the local team lacks the experience, discipline and attitude to beat a foreign based team. In short they lack class and that cutting edge.This was quite evident against Grenada in a friendly 2 weeks ago.