Phuket, Thailand

Training in the tropics

Living the dream

Rawai Muaythai Camp
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do students stay long term?

Hi! Just wondered how some of your students manage to stay and train/fight for you long term? How do they manage financially as it must be difficult to get work in Thailand as a foreigner? I know Gerri and Theresa have been there a long time and fight regularly. Also congrats to both of them for fighting in the Queens cup next week - I'm sure they will both win as they are such strong fighters and work hard! Gerri is a real inspiration as like her I took up Muay Thai later in life and still like to fight - although just a few years younger, I wish I could achieve half of what she has! Good on you Gerri!

Re: How do students stay long term?

Hi Suzy,

Personally I have managed to live, train and fight here long term by using my savings and the money I earn from fights. Although Rawai gym will provide free training to those who commit to train and fight long term (in accordance with the gym’s conditions to qualify for this free training) and in certain cases provide free accommodation you still need money to cover living expenses as you are not salaried and the money you can earn from fights will not cover all your out-goings. Some students may be sponsored by their gym in their home country but in general most are using savings or credit and living as economically as they can out here to stay long term. It is possible to find work here but it is not easy to fight train full time and work, although some students do, for example Teresa, who works in the high season to support herself. I hope this answers your questions. Thank you for your kind comments. I hope the Queen’s Cup goes well for us!

Regards,
Gerri

FYI I have copied a link to an article, from Muay Thai Phuket Magazine, regarding making a living as a muay thai fighter in Thailand:
http://mtpmagazine.blogspot.com/2010/03/so-you-want-to-be-professional-fighter.html

Hi Gerri!
Thanks for your reply - its been really helpful and given me lots to think about I'll definitley visit Rawai when I'm back in Thailand - soon I hope!
Good luck to you and Teresa in the Queens Cup! Hopefully we'll get to see the fights on Youtube or sky tv!

Students who stay long term in Thailand will need a special visa: the best is the non-immigrant multiple entry Education visa. It can be good for up to 1 year. Now many Thai consulates give it though. The ones that do are: Birmingham and Hull in UK and Brisbane, Perth in Australia.

With a 1 year visa you do a visa run to Burma every 3 months. Right before the year is up you can do one last visa run which extends your stay up to 15 months. I leraned this from Lindsey from Canada who stayed at Rawai for years! If you want to read up on the visa matters you can check out the visa section of the website.

Gerri and Teresa leave to go to Bangkok. They will fight at the Queen's Cup on Wednesday, August 11, 2010. Some of the fights will be aired on Thai TV Channel 7. Good luck Rawai fighters!

Thanks Diana!

Good Luck Rawai!