Phuket, Thailand

Training in the tropics

Living the dream

Rawai Muaythai Camp
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pep-talk needed!

I'm coming to Rawai next week and am starting to worry about how I'll cope with it. I'm on my gap year and it'll be my first time leaving the UK by myself. I'm staying for 2 months and my aim is to lose weight, get fit and generally have a good time.

The problem is I am incredibly unfit and find it hard to run for more than 10 minutes without stopping for a breather. Realistically how much training could I cope with and how much weight could I lose in that time? I am determined to return home a new man!

As a reference point, I am 18, 6 feet tall and weigh 81kg.

Thanks in advance and am looking forward to joining you next week!

Re: Pep-talk needed!

You will have to answer your questions yourself by workin your ass of in training!

Start slow but be consistent and increase the volume/intensity every workout!
Dont forget to eat clean, get loads of sleep and cut back on the partying and you'll get the results you're after!

Ain't nothing gonna come to you without sweat and tears!
You'll have an awesome time anyways!

Yeah I guess you're right. I'm going to try and keep my goal in mind while there and push myself to reach it. Is it a good idea to use the gym in my off time (sundays/midday/evenings) or should I be using that time to rest for the next day's training?
Thanks for the reply.

Adam
Yeah I guess you're right. I'm going to try and keep my goal in mind while there and push myself to reach it. Is it a good idea to use the gym in my off time (sundays/midday/evenings) or should I be using that time to rest for the next day's training?
Thanks for the reply.

I would suggest that you also look into strength and conditioning training next to your muay thai workouts.
Just don't overdue it in the beginning, it should be very challenging but should never wear you out!

Now i don't know on which level you are at the moment but start slow and progress every workout.
For example:

Conditioning Training:
i would say if you are a complete beginner spend 2-4 weeks on every station:
slow long distance running->fast mid distance running->faster 1-mile run->800m Sprints->400m Sprints->and so on all the way down to 50m Sprints

If you have progressed that far you can start using a mixture of them all an incorporate minute drills, tabata intervalls, and all the other stuff into your workouts.

strength:
start with bodyweight exercises or light free weight exercises(fuck the machines):
here is an example how you COULD progress from workout to workout:
bodyweight pullups
pushups
squats
hip lifts

after some time:
weighted pullups
weighted pushups
one legged squat or step ups
glute ham raise or deadlift(start slow)

me peronally am fond of unilateral exercises.
so a sample workout could look like this(use assistance in beginning):
one-arm pullup(start with second hand on elbox for support)
one arm pushup(start with 2. hand on medball)
one legged squat(start with your hand on a chair or wall for support)
one legged deadlift

later on its best to mix things up to keep it fun and interesting.
but when you just start out with strength training stick to just a handfull of exercises for the first month or two and you'll se how fast you'll make progress!
You should always look for exercises that incorporate multiple joints and NO "isolation exercises" or machine work!
every strength workout should consist on upper body-pulling/pushing and lower body pulling/pushing exercises.
so in the beginning 4 exercises are enough to get you startet, (see above)

good luck to you!

Dude you could lose quite a bit of weight in 2 months. Thats a long time to exercise everyday. The thing is that you should start off slow so that you dont injur yourself. If your hurt you cant train at all. I think if you show up, the rest will take care of itself. Good luck dude....

Yeah I'll try to gauge how much/hard I can train without overdoing it. Thing is, every time I've started a new cycle of "I need to lose weight, I'd better exercise and eat right" I've found that I work really hard for a couple of weeks, then lose motivation and stop doing anything at all. Do the trainers at rawai really push you to train? Because that's really what I need.

Put everything else aside for the 2 months...just concentrate on your training...it will change your life! The trainers will push you but you still have to make the effort to get out of bed and get down there. I first came to Rawai weighing 107kg...I now weigh 76kg.... Rawai taught me how to train and what I need to do to achieve the results I want but you have to want it yourself. I train everyday back here in Australia and have never felt better. If you train hard for the 2 months you will never regret it.

Mike

I was at rawai and I was about 77 a month in after training 3x a day (vip aswell) and I was spewing so I started eating whatever i wanted and I guess my metabolisim kicked in and by the time I left 2 months later I weighed 63 , its a fun experience but you wont regret it if you go

shane, you lost the weight from all your bedroom action

oh yes the thai ladies can be pretty athletic.

but i tell you guys in tokyo it isnt bad either!