Phuket, Thailand

Training in the tropics

Living the dream

Rawai Muaythai Camp
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new construction

We are building new bungalows at the gym. Should be ready in September.

Re: new construction

When the bungalows are ready our next project is... a pool! So after training, we can relax by the pool.

Nice idea imo!

What would be awesome too is buying/building some sandbags and/or waterballs for functional strength training
and what about a thick bumper mat for olympic barbell lifts?

just some thoughts...

Pool is an amazing idea. Gives students a place to mingle and meet one another.

I think Rawai will be the only Muay Thai gym in Phuket with an onsite pool?

Great for technqiue classes, injury rehab, and a cold beer :)

i think the pool is a bad idea- someone needs to maintain it...i wouldnt swim in it....

When you buy a pool you buy the maintenance service as well, to keep the water clean and the PH balanced. Anyways, it's still a bit away, we'll see when the bungalows are done how much money is left!

are u not renting out bungalows from goongs anymore? as i noticed there not on the website anymore??

No, we're no longer using Goong's. We are using all the accommodation options close to the gym instead, like Le Piman Resort, Darin Bungalows, Nui Bungalows, Stone Inn, etc... I have updated the accommodation page online:

Rawai Camp Accommodation

Hi Diana,

If I could please make 2 suggestions to help Rawai be a more enjoyable experience (which is difficult)

1. The toilet
2. The carpet is a rough synthetic and just tore through our skin like sandpaper.

Cheers
Pegz

Thanks for the suggestion. We will work on it! Have to find the right material... we tried the puzzle mats but people kept slipping (because of the sweat) and training on concrete is hard too, plus it gets slippery. That's why we stick to the carpet, although it does cause callouses. Any suggestions?

I have the puzzle mats at home and i sweat A LOT...never slipped though!

Just use the blue side up as that side has better grip

Diana,

Sorry I'm not knowledged on the carpet properties.
If I was trainning on concrete or dirt I'd still be back to Rawai.

Cheers
P

sad to see ur not using goongs, they are top people.

u bringing in new exercise equipement? is the running machine working? and what happened to the russian bells?

zzz,

Kettle bells are still there well they were 3 weeks ago anyway also the running machine was working.

Don't know why you would want to run on the machine when you can run around a beautiful country instead.

I believe there is nothing wrong with staying at Goongs and training at rawai, The accomedation just isn't orgainised through the gym anymore. But maybe it's changed recently.

Diana,

I like the idea of a swimming pool think it would be awesome. Great way to relax and even stretch.

Update on the bungalows: now they have a roof... but no tiles yet.

Training on carpet and getting calluses shouldn't be a concern.. your feet adapt eventually. harden up i reckon :P

Wayde I rekon you should train in August then I can show you my calluses in person, lol.

Nothing wrong with the carpets. You just have to work through the blisters. The mats are very slippery when it Rains also.....Gotta suck it up!!!

The new bungalows are almost done. Just missing the furniture and light fixtures. These bungalows will have 2 single beds and air con! They are located right in the gym grounds, next to the shared rooms.

View from the back of the bungalows.