Phuket, Thailand

Training in the tropics

Living the dream

Rawai Muaythai Camp
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gaining weight

Hi,I see there is quite a few people that going on a weight loss program,But i was wondering if you guys got any program for gaining weight:p im 196cm and my weight is around 80-85kg,but i really wanna be more like 95-100.so if i came over to train could you guys help me:p i prefer to gain the natrual way no gainers or protoein stuff.

Greetings from norway:D

Re: Gaining weight

btw hope this is not a stupid post XD

most importanly is eating eating eating and then some more eating.

all healthy food, no sugar, balanced fat, LOTS of protein(not too much)...

regarding training:
you COULD follow a bodybuilding hypertrophy plan, but i wouldn't recommend it

IMHO its better to gain size AND strength

so stick to the basic strength exercises like:
deadlift
Squats
One Legged Squats
Glute Ham Raise
Weighted-Dips/Pushups/Pullups/Reverse-Ring-Dips
Handstand Pushups, One Arm Pushups
Deadlift Twist
Bench Pressing(2 and 1-arm versions)
Body Rows
well the list goes on and on...

its important for you to train strength 3 times a week if you want to gain mass and incorporate 1 exercise each of:
upper body pulling(ex. pullups, body rows, highpull)
upper body pushing(ex. military press, pushups, dips)
lower body pulling(ex. glute ham raise, deadlift,good mornings)
lower body pushing(ex. squat, one legged squat,aso...)

you should do heavy sets of 1-6repetitions.
examples:
10x1
8x2
3x3
5x5

rest times between sets should be between 2-5 minutes(heavier set...longer rest time)

hope that helps...got questions?

ask them

one more thing i forgot:

as i think that you are a fighter or at least you are going to be...you should defintely incorporate explosive strength workouts in form of complex pairs.

examples:

one arm pushups
plyometric pushups

weighted pullups
medball slams

wall squat(maximum tension)
squat jumps

deadlift
woodchopper

so basically its one strength exercise followed by a plyometric exercise
no rest in between...rest between pairs

and of course you shouldn't forget plyometrics in general, speed and agility training
all this will help to assure that you stay fast and explosive while gaining mass and strength

Damn! Thx rob nice info.Hoping to become a fighter,but atm all i got is my shadow boxing & weight lifting gym:p since my old club got shut down i gotta wait until end of summer to start at a new one.but hoping to come to rawai at the beginning of 2010,being there 3months should get me in shape,hopefully to stop smoking to:p btw im 22:P im thinking its a bit old?not that im thinking of going pro,fighting just intrest me alot:D

and lets say i follow the program you gave me. how many days a week should i train, all 7 or?

that depends what youzr goals are...

if you ONLY want to gain weight/strength then 3 days with a 1 rest day each between them would be fine.
training-free-training-free-and so on...

but if you plan on becoming a better fighter while gaining mass you shouldn't forget to train anaerobic conditioning, skills(muay thai) and a small portion aerobic conditioning.

i really dont know much about your work capacity at the moment...but its better to start with a lower volume and slowly start to increase the intensity before you add to the volume of your workout schedule.

a sample plan could look like this:

monday-muay thai training and anaerobic conditioning
tuesday-strength
wednesday-muay thai/anaerobic conditioning
thursday-strength
friday- MT/aerobic conditioning
saturday-strength
sunday-free

if you just start with training keep it at that...challenge yourself to increase the intensity each workout...but keep workout volume down at the beginning

for example muay thai workout(/technique work/focus mitts/heavy bag/sparring/clinching)-about 1 hour-1,5hours and 1 time a day

anaerobic conditioning workout(minute drills, sprinting/intervall training,power circuits,and so on...)-about 10-20 minutes

strength workouts-about 1 hour

as you see its not that long...the most important thing though is that you improve each sesson and choose an intensity that REALLY challenges you

once you accustomed to the new training style you should start to integrate mini workouts for your neck, hands and core(very important to choose functional exercises and not things like busting out numerous sit ups).

hope that helps,
take care

Yeah thx a bunch rob,btw how long have you been training muay thai? ill do the strength work out for now,and condiotion training,since i cant train any MT before end of summer,exept train for my self..that wont do any good since ive trained only for like 3-4months:p so im pretty newbie:P but agian thx alot:D ill give you feedback on my growth lol..