Phuket, Thailand

Training in the tropics

Living the dream

Rawai Muaythai Camp
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
very sore shins!

Does anyone know of a quick way to heal badly damaged shins? I've got a fight in 3 weeks and I've still got a big lump/dent on my right shin! It doesn't really hurt to touch, but I know if I block a kick, I will go through the roof in agony! The Dr told me it was chipped and the scar tissue hasn't healed very well. Same thing happened last year to my other shin, and it took months to heal - am I wise to fight, or should I wait til its fully repaired?

Re: very sore shins!

Suzy,

I'm affraid it will take time, Have you had an x-ray?? If it is chipped very bad idea to fight as it may break, If its just heavy bruising Hot Bath then ice 10mins then put some tiger balm or Thai oil on once the heat has gone again ice again for another 10 mins, Even some Arnica cream to help the bruising.

Basically Hot,Cold,Hot,Cold and repeat

Hey Chris!
Thanks for that-i'll give it a try! Anything to speed up the recovery process!

Tuk fought Suki from Israel in 2005. Suki is taller and weighed in 7 pounds heavier than Tuk. Tuk went ahead with the fight anyway and he ended up hurting his shins: they got swollen and we had to go to the hospital after the fight to get medical attention. The doctor cut the skin and inserted a brush to clear the blood clot over the shin (no anesthesia) and then left a tube there for the leftover blood/stuff to leak out, for two weeks. It was horrible and painful. A month later he fought for a world Title in Patong Stadium against Daniel Mashamaite, with his shins not fully recovered, and although he won the fight he then had to stop fighting for months! Moral of the story, either wait to be fully recovered before you fight again, or suffer the consequences!

Suzi,

The hot cold thing seems to work a treat my thigh was majorly swollen on sunday and i've been treating it as i described and i have alot of movement back in my leg now, The bruises are crackers i'll get some pics up.

Diana,

Ouch that sounds nasty stuff how bad were they swollen? I take it we are talking alot bigger than the common lump we get with shins clashing?

Tuk fights lefty and so his left leg was worse off. The swelling was about 2 cm high, covering the shin from knee to ankle... quite impressive. Had he not had a title fight the next month he would have rested it until it healed properly... But Tuk says that swollen shin are part of the boxer's life in Thailand.

Urgh! That sounds incredibly painful-can't imagine what that looked or felt like!! Mines nothing compared to that-makes me feel a bit of a wimp ! thanks for the advice guys-I've taken it all on board and will see how it goes over the next week or so!!

Suzy,

Any news on the shins hows the healing going? I'm in the same boat now aswell. I have 2 weeks till i get to Rawai and my shins are pretty bad.

Hey Chris!
Mine seems to be on the mend, and I'm just being careful with it! The Dr. said it was probably chipped but should be healed enough for when I fight! She said I wouldn't make it much worse-so I'll just have to knock my opponent out in the first round ! Hope yours don't take too long to heal-ouch!

Thats good to hear,

I have went to extremes by mixing red tiger balm mixed with Thai oil damn its hot haha.

I notice your from the UK. Where abouts do you fight?

Hiya!
hows the injuries
I fight out of Combat Gym in Weston Super Mare!
My boyfriend/Instructor runs one of the largest Martial Arts Club in the South West-check us out on www.combatgym.co.uk
I just found out this morning that my opponent for next week has pulled out due to back problems! She pulled out of her last fight with 3 weeks notice, and I took her place! We are hoping to fight on 28th june now! I'm so disappointed as I really felt ready-but hey, thats the fight game for you!! Rest my shins a bit more now! You should try chinese bone repair medicine then woodlock-now that burns Where do you train in Scotland?

I'll check the gym out.

I train in Aberdeen in Scotland doing MMA but trying to do more Muay Thai now.

Shins are doing not bad kicked some pads last night the first time in 2 weeks, But my leg is still injured a little from my fight have to make sure i protect it in my next one.

The last show i fought on was www.powerofscotland.com really big show here in scotland awesome event. You should get yourself on the show.

Cool! I'll have a look - thanks!