Training in the tropics

Living the dream

Rawai Muaythai Camp
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Practical issues.

Hi Danny!

Arriving end of march and really looking forward to it. Feeling more and more comfortable having chosen the Rawai camp as i have no previous experience in martial arts. Just some quick questions tho.

1) Heard a lot about ppl having trouble sleeping at the camp,is that cos of the heat, mosquitos or whats the deal? Been to diff parts of Thailand before and mosquito count def varies a lot.

2) Do you always have new gloves and other used gear available to buy so that i can get on with the training right away?

3) Apart from going to Patong or the beach what else would you need a motorbike for? Are there shops, massage and restaurants all within walking distance?

4)I´ll be there for 4-5 weeks(booked for 4) is that enough time to get used to the heat and get some visible results? Ofcourse it depends on the work you put in but i have promised myself to try and stay away from the samsong-coke-redbull diet

Hope you are all enjoying your stay, dont even think about missing home, its just horribly cold and rainy here(sweden) now.

cheers!!!

Re: Practical issues.

Many people have sleeping issues for the first few nights due to jet lag ( time zone difference) Usley after 3 - 5 nights most people settle into Thai time ok.

The Office is ALWAYS fully stocked with gloves, shin pads, shorts & any thing else you might require.

Their are 2 x restaurants + super market, Thai massage ,internet cafe, Muaythai Bar + DVD hire all less than 300 meters from the GYM... most students DONT need to hire a moped / motor bike.
Mountain bikes are available @ the GYM and is a great way to travel 3 - 10 km fast & exercise @ the same time

I had trouble staying awake past 8pm after training for the first week when I was there, insomnia is not a problem if you train hard

Thanks guys. Will be wonderful to just have to worry about training, eating and sleeping. (and staying away from the samsong ofcourse ;)

Im so scared, this is the first time Im travelling alone.
Im going to come in april. Could the camp arrange me a taxi?
How much spending money should I bring, excluding the money ill bring for training and accommdation?

Also how is safety like at the camp? and in the surrounding area

There are LOTS of taxis available at the airport...they all know rawai!

As for the safety...it is safe, never had a problem while staying in rawai!

The only thing you should do is wear a helmet when riding motorbike...thats should be your only safety concern!

Sintu--

Take an "official" taxi from the airport (they'll hand you a little slip of paper and have a booth before you exit the airport itself) if you don't feel like haggling. Set prices are posted on a board.

As for safety, if you're a good little nak mauy and in bed before midnight, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

it's when you're out at the bars at 2 am - dawn that the bad motorbike accidents / muggings happen.

Sintu ... You should READ the FAQ page BEFORE you come to Thailand..
Their you will find answers to ALL of your questions.

• Crime
    Issues @ Phuket

• Airport
    Pick Up service

• Frequently
    Asked Questions
    = FAQ's

• Re: Practical issues.

I'm a bit confused about the getting a visa. Could you not organise a visa for 90 days? I don't mind paying extra, then doing a visa run.

Thank you all for your help guys.