Thai Boxing/Fitness Training Camp

Phuket, Thailand

Training in the tropics

Living the dream

Rawai Muaythai Camp
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Danny or anyone know the meaning behind this?

This is aimed more at Danny and the trainers.

Whilst I was in Thailand I had a strong look and insight into Theravada Buddhism. Since coming home I listen to Dharmma talks weekly by Ajarn Brahm.

I have come across a tattoo that I saw a few Thai people had in the gym and wanted to know a little bit more about it.

Danny,
What do you know about the below tattoo? From what I understand its a prayer to keep you safe and protected but thats all i know about it as Google doesnt tell you too much.

I have emailed TU to ask her also as I know her father was a Buddhist monk.

Regards and warmest seasons greating to you all.

Re: Danny or anyone know the meaning behind this?

You about sumed it up already Aaron... its for luck & protection.
The Tattoo is usley done by monks but their are now many tattooists such as (Egg) doing them and then sending you down to the local temple to have it blessed by monks.
Not the same as having the real thing ... but it still looks good.

is there a place on phuket that have monks who do the tattoos? ive always wanted one

i cant see that pic at this bloody net cafe im at but i know the ones you mean. There are serval similar ones and different styles in the same vain. I got one from Samnak Arjannoo Kanphai ( www.arjanoo.com , www.sakyan.com )He is the only person i know who can do the tatoo's and give the blessings (which i assume you are after) officlaly. I think you can get one of these "sacred" tatoos elsewhere and get them blessed at his temple. But for the experience it is better to have the bamboo (big metal rod). Also if you are a therevadan buddhist this sort of tatoo is concidered black magic. So you might want to ask the chap whose talks you go to. Better to spend you money on your mind and get ordained ( www.ordinationthai.org )

Euan,
I have heard about you through Bj. Hi mate..

Please tell me more, im interested in where the black magic comes from for this particular tattoo..

Thanks mate.

Aaron- plz dont consider getting this tatoo. Do you remember how much u cried when you got that small tatoo on your arm. I have pics of you in tears with that one, wish i could upload them on here!

-> i need a personal detective to monitor how many piza's Euan has eaten. We made a bet that every pizza costs 300 bhart. I have given Euan 900 bhart in total for my three pizas, but Euan claims not to have eaten any. If anyone has seen Euan eat a pizza please let me know. U will be rewarded as well.

Bj!
I have a defence!
I had 3rd degree burns from the sun so even the wind hitting my skin put me in tears let alone a Tattoo needle!

Hi again Euan.
After a little bit more reading Theravada does not believe in spirits. I just sat down after seeing a documentry about North Eastern Thailand and how a Spirit Doctor who refused to walk through the forest in Thailand as they had bad spirits but after going to Ajahn Chah's talks and meditation he was no longer a spirit Dr and was no longer scared to walk through those forests..
Thats what made me ask you about your comment about certain tattoos and Spirits in I was into Theravada..

Keep safe guys and have a great xmas and NY.

Bj .... I dont think Euan has been munching on pissa's

In the past month he has been training hard & has lost alot of weight... I will see if I can snap a photo today for you to see the new Euan.

bj, bj, bj. You untrusting swine! haha.

Aaron, are you still thinking of getting the tattoo then? They are still "buddhist" tattoos but just not theravada. I saw a monk come into the temple when i was there and he had these tattoos but he was in a scarlett robe which is a different sect of buddhism. Also it hurt heaps getting it done. But it was my first tattoo so i dont know what its like compared to the gun tattoos.

euan.. did you get it done in phuekt? rawai?

i got it done in bangkok. I know the tattoos can be done in phuket but they wont have any "power". Or they cant be blessed in phuket as far as i know. I think you can have the tattoos done here and then get them blessed at the temple in bangkok but i dont know 100%.

Euan,
Any chance of posting a pic?

Danny, Gong and the rest of the team at RMT merry Christmas and wish you all the best for 2008!:)

Aron-plz man you make up all the excuses in the world. Its ok we all know your soft at heart. Thats why the ladies love you.

Yeah danny put up pics of Euan-id like to check him out!

...... Euans Tattoo ...

thats beautiful mate! good job!

Bjay, i now get QANTAS staff discount priveliges so im all most certain about a re visit with family next year! I hope your keeping safe mate!

Ciao

Aaron nice one- any chance u can give me the discount?

Euan-ur looking very sharp mate!:)

Bj,
The only way that is happening is if you marry me and I can claim you as my spouse.. you know what that means... make sure you shave cause i dont want stubble!!

the sak-yant in the picture is Gao Yodt (9 spires)... Ajarn Noo, Ajarn Kaew in Bang Sue, Ajarn Por Gae in OnNut and many Ajarn's at Wat Bang Pra in Nakorn Chaisi can apply them and the kataa/mantra (blessing) also

the average cost is 99baht, but it depends where you go... then in some places you need to make an offering also and this can cost 50-200baht

if you don't follow the rules that accompany these yants you can have bad luck and trust me (even though I'm typing via the internet) it is real... I have 5 symbols on my back and am awaiting knee surgery, after my Ajarn applied these to ease the pain in my knee, I find that if I bad mouth my wife after an arguement my knee POPS!! this is not a lie, this is what I have experienced and don't wish to again

the "magic" they provide is real, but the consequences that go with is very real

show them the respect they deserve and obey the changes in your life and all things lead for the better

this is my back in March... it's almost covered now - just copy and paste the link

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/306/latestzk5.jpg

for more information check out: www.sak-yant.com OR register for free on their forum

Davo,
You in SYd?

Davo,

Anyplace close to, or in Phuket, where I could get a Yant tatoo?

g'day to both you guys and HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone

no, I'm not from Sydney I'm from QLD... don't hold it against me

as for "close to Phuket", I couldn't tell you, but I'll see what I can find out

my Yants have been applied by Ajarn Kaew in Bang Sue, Ajarn Por Gae in OnNut and MY Ajarn out near MinBuri all are around the Bangkok area

I had the honour of meeting Thailand's NO.1 Ajarn of "magic" Ajarn Oot and in return for receiving 2 takrut (in this case magic bullet casings) from him I had to receive 3 strikes to the back from a machette... he sharpened it in front of me

the magic is real!!!

Davo
"in return for receiving 2 takrut (in this case magic bullet casings) from him I had to receive 3 strikes to the back from a machette... he sharpened it in front of me"

------------------------------------------------------------
Can you explain to me why this happened?

why this happened?

because it is an honour to be asked to take part in a ceremony to prove the magic is real... if I just told you a story about what I had heard or watched on video it would be like "oh ok, that's pretty hardcore" or "what a crock of sh#t!", but to actually be involved is a very surreal experience and the Ajarns are not gentle

on this day I was given 2 options:

3 strikes to the back with a machette

1 slice across the throat with a stanley knife

I opted for the back, so I couldn't see anything coming (what a girl), unfortunately I didn't have my video camera with me on this day but I didn't get a photo when I got home of the 3 "paper cut" like lines down my back and the pain was nothing compared to the uncomfortable swelling under the strike marks

I have videos of a machette, samurai sword, pocket knife & an AXE! all being used to demostrate "kong grapan"...

if anyone wants a link to download a short clip of the AXE post here and I'll put it up

They do believe in spirits.