Return to Website

BigBands & BigNames

Welcome to the BigBandsandBigNames Message Board. The object of these discussions is to provide folks with an easy way to learn about and discuss big band music and related topics with others over the Internet. Post announcements, ask questions or respond to existing postings. Make sure to type in a descriptive title for your entry in the "Subject" box. Enjoy!

BigBands & BigNames
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tommy Reynolds' Orchestra bio in progress

Hi - I'm glad to see someone is researching Tommy Reynolds. He was a masterful clarinet player and I suspect he did many arrangements for Artie Shaw. I'd be interested to know if your research supports this theory.
Nick Pauldine

Hi.
A good friend of mine who passed away last year from cancer was a big band trombone player. His name was Joe Servello and he was in the Tommy Reynolds Orchestra. I recorded some of Joe's stories, but need more information for a manuscript i've written about his time in the big bands.
An outline of the story can be seen at http://www.scenicphotoart.com/BigBandJoe.html
i would very much welcome any information about Tommy Reynolds, particularly hearing from anyone who might have played with Joe and would like to contribute some memories from then to be included in the story.
Regards,
Susan Pich

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I'm putting together a history of the Tommy Reynolds Orchestra, a never-quite-made-it-big band active from 1939. I've tracked down names of sidemen, discographic information and miscellany more complete than any I've found in print or online. Likewise, I seem to have one of the more complete collections of the band's recordings and broadcast material. Still, there are BIG gaps I'm trying to fill in. I'd appreciate any information you have on the band, no matter how apparently insignificant....
Highest on my wish-list are these things:
* Is Tommy Reynolds still alive? If he is, where can I write to him, or if he is not, when and where did he pass away?
* Who were his arrangers? I suspect his one-time piano man Joe Cribari may have been one of them.
* What instruments did Bobby Boon and Benny West play for him?
* Looking for Okeh 5902 and 5791

this was my brother in law and yes he is dead and died in new york please email me