Grant Boddington's World of Hypnosis Forum

I invite all visitors to Grant Boddington's World of Hypnosis to submit questions, answers or comments pertaining to Hypnosis. As I (Grant) receive an email whenever there is a new posting, I'll answer many of the questions myself, but anyone should feel free to offer solutions or comments to any submission to this forum. ENJOY!

Grant Boddington's World of Hypnosis Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hypnosis working??

Hi all, I'm new...

Im having Hypnosis sessions with a local person (who is qualified and has letters after their name etc) and am not sure if they are working?

Are there any Hypnotherapists on here?

Basically the problem areas I want to improve are motivation in my work/job... and feel confident about "selling myself" and to stop nail biting.

However I have had a few sessions now, and basically i am hypnotised to talk about my past (childhood etc and things that have happened) which I can understand why, to get me to think about things...

But I never feel that I am totally "under" as I am just recalling things which maybe i could consciously recall?

Im not sure how Hypnosis works or what it feels like? I can still hear things outside and it feels like im just lying there with my eyes shut!

I recall childhood events, and even though the Hypnotherapist makes notes, he never does anything about it, ie: never programs any new thoughts, just wakes me up at the end, and says see you next week...!

I then go back and do it all again?? Whilst under" I am almost consciously thinking "I know what your going to ask next..." "Why am i paying for this"?

I dont want to be negative as i am fascinated by Hypnosis and the Subconscious mind, but just wondered if I'm going to turn up forever doing the same thing!!

And these sessions aren't cheap!!

What do I do?

I do listen to CD's which i believe can take up to 28 days of daily listening for them to form a habit and sink into the subconscious?

Am i just throwing away my money?

Thanks

Re: Hypnosis working??

Hi Mike

I'm a hypnotherapist working in England

You can be hypnotised and recall some - or even all - of the hypnotherapy session. Most people feel a "drift", where your mind seems to go into a daydream and you find you've stopped listening to the hypnotherapist, but this isn't essential.

There are many ways of going into hypnosis, and if you feel you aren't relaxed enough then maybe your hypnotherapist needs to increase the length of the induction. Does he use a tailor-made induction - for example, did he ask you how you thought (in pictures, feelings, sound, smells etc)? Does he ask you to imagine a relaxing scene, and if so is this relaxing for you personally?

There are a few things that I would do differently if I were to have a client with your objectives, but you must appreciate all therapists vary in their methods

Firstly, I would use a "safe place" (it can have a different name!!!) which I find essential for life improvement

Secondly, I don't dwell on the past, I look into the future. I use future pacing, imagining the new you, and work on building confidence. I only go to the past if there's an emotional block in accepting change, and only to let go of the past emotions.

Thridly, I record all my hypnotherapy sessions for the client to practice at home. The problem with the self-hypnosis tapes is that they are very generalised (as in point one - we all think differently so inductions should be personal to you.)

And lastly, hypnosis alone isn't always successful quickly because of the subconscious' acceptance to change. It may take a while to undo negative thought patterns! So I use "open eye" therapy too - generally NLP, CBT & EFT (see my website for info - I'm not touting for business because I'm prob a BIT far for you to travel!!!). I set homework of not only practicing hypno, but also changing negative thought patterns

I would suggest you ask your hypnotherapist about other methods, and if he's a one trick pony I suggest you find another therapist. He may not realise that regression isn't working for you, so honesty is the best policy. After all, it's your treatment and it's important you do what's best for you!

I hope this is helpful

Steph
www.lilylifetherapy.co.uk

Mike
Hi all, I'm new...

Im having Hypnosis sessions with a local person (who is qualified and has letters after their name etc) and am not sure if they are working?

Are there any Hypnotherapists on here?

Basically the problem areas I want to improve are motivation in my work/job... and feel confident about "selling myself" and to stop nail biting.

However I have had a few sessions now, and basically i am hypnotised to talk about my past (childhood etc and things that have happened) which I can understand why, to get me to think about things...

But I never feel that I am totally "under" as I am just recalling things which maybe i could consciously recall?

Im not sure how Hypnosis works or what it feels like? I can still hear things outside and it feels like im just lying there with my eyes shut!

I recall childhood events, and even though the Hypnotherapist makes notes, he never does anything about it, ie: never programs any new thoughts, just wakes me up at the end, and says see you next week...!

I then go back and do it all again?? Whilst under" I am almost consciously thinking "I know what your going to ask next..." "Why am i paying for this"?

I dont want to be negative as i am fascinated by Hypnosis and the Subconscious mind, but just wondered if I'm going to turn up forever doing the same thing!!

And these sessions aren't cheap!!

What do I do?

I do listen to CD's which i believe can take up to 28 days of daily listening for them to form a habit and sink into the subconscious?

Am i just throwing away my money?

Thanks