TRUTH TALK FORUM:
Return to Website

WELCOME! A place where iron can sharpen iron, where spiritual milk and strong meat may be shared and received by all, where scripture can be expounded, where truth and love may be seen by the world.

To post: email totw@truthonthewb.org from your email address and ask for the password. It will be changed from time-to-time as need arises. Thank you for posting here. God bless.

! ! ! ! Truth Talk Forum ! ! ! !</B>
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Sheep, goats and Hell

Thanks.

The meaning of the parable seems clear Matt 25 v31 onwards - the judgement is on works alone. The people judged did not even realise they were doing a religious duty but that did not matter. Those that has done good and went to heaven and those that had done bad went to the other place. Nothing at all about religious beliefs not a word.

And this is what you would expect from a loving God "Did you do good deeds?" not "Are your theologial beleifs correct?"

Other parts of the Bible contradict this you say. Then they or this parable are mistaken!

Q

Email: mgt.harris@btinternet.com

Very good answer

Dear Deist,

That was a very thoughtful response. One could, as Laurie has, read that scripture and turn to works for salvation. But the Bible must be taken as a whole, here a little there a little, line by line. More peolpe than we can imagine have made the deadly mistake of isolating a verse and basing their belief on that. It is just like baptism. One group reads Acts 2:38 and the other reads Matthew 28:19. Thus does Statan get the advantage and bring division.

Ron

Email: rsnm10@hotmail.com

Re: Sheep, goats and Hell

Dear Laurie,

Even though, in the past, I said that I would no longer respond to your posts, I will reprove you this last time.

What you have demonstrated by your question is the truth of the scripture "the letter killeth, but the Spirit maketh alive". You have not the Spirit of God and you have absolutely no chance of understanding the word of God.

It is also said in 1 Corinthains 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." You are a natural man with a carnal mind, so these things are hidden from you.

I came to the same roadblock when I was struggling with the issues of spirituality. Before I was born again, I decided to read the Bible; cover to cover, word by word. And so I did. The result was a complete was of time. I did not get the message of Jesus. I did not get the message of sin. I did not get the message of salvation. Nothing. This is exactly what you are doing, but you will not admit it.

Why do you not ask the really important questions???
1. The Son of man separated "nations" as sheep and goats, so why do people have to be saved if only nations are judged as sheep and goats?
2. Why will there be sheep in heaven anyways?
3. Why does the King subscribe to the old custom of discriminating against the left hand?
4. If all the things that God made are good, why then does he pick on the goats?

This is what I have to say to you. You must be born again. You need to get hold of a real preacher. Read these verses.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I do really hope that you can understand this. You need to HEAR the word of God preached to you with conviction and power. You need to BELIEVE the gospel. You need to have FAITH in Jesus and your Saviour. You need to REPENT of you sins and TURN unto righteousness. If you do not these things that I have told you, you will perish. Please listen to me. There is only one preacher that I can recommend you hear. Go to www.overcomerministry.com and find the radio schedule. I know that he is broadcasting in the UK. Go and hear the word of God.

With Faith and Love,
Ron Harvey

P.S. I would like to summarize the scripture above.

1. You hear the preacher,
2. You believe what you have heard,
3. You call on the name of Jesus with faith,
4. Then you are saved.

There is no other way.

Email: rsnm10@hotmail.com

Thanks for this interesting response

Dear Ron,
Thanks for this interesting and, if I may say so, civil response.

I am interested in what a Bible Christian makes of the parable and that is why I posted here. When you reply that we must take into account other scriptures too it reads as though you accept that the Bible contradicts itself. And surely here it does! The parable says clear as daylight that we are judged according to our works whereas Paul says we are saved through faith. It is not so much a question of 'taking the verses in the context of the whole bible' it seems rather a question of seeing that they flatly contradict.

[Modern or liberal Christians who do not think that every word of the Bible is inspired do not have this problem. They, as you will be quick to point out,have the problem of deciding which verses are inspired and which are not]

Now you tell me that I ought to ask some questions about the parable. I am not quite sure what they are getting at but I will try.

Q1. Why do people have to be saved if it is nations that judged?
I understand V32 to say 'all the nations' as a way of saying that everyone will be judged. However note that it is 'men' not nations that are separated into two groups according to whether or not they visited the prisoner etc. It is clearly their individual actions that determines which group they are in.
Q2 Why will there be sheep in heaven anyway?
This is a parable so we are not talking literally about sheep! They represent the people who have visited prisons etc.
Q3 Why does the King subscribe to the old custom of discriminating against the left hand?
As it is a parable I suppose this is another picturesque way of saying that people under judgement fall into two groups.
Q4 If God made all things good why does he pick on the goats?
[A very perceptive question. If God made all things good including Satan everyone would have existed in a perfect world and Satan would have had no reason nor motivation to sin. The whole story of Satan and the Fall is implausible. However this is another issue]
The orthodox answer is that the goats i.e. those that do not visit the prisoner etc were MADE good by God but they misused God's gift of freewill to do wrong and that is why God condemns them.

Now I would ask you please to explain what you were getting at when you asked me to consider these question.

I thank you very much for the well meant other remarks you make in your post. I will certainly ponder them BUT, if you don't mind, I will stick here with the subject of the thread.

With good wishes

Q

Re: Thanks for this interesting response

Hi Ron,

You asked me some questions about the parable that really intrigued me and which I tried to answer. I am interested to know exactly what you were getting at when you asked them and what you made of my poor attempts to respond.

I would be grateful if you could tell me.

With best wishes

Q

Come on Ron - don't be so shy!

Come on - you asked me some questions - I responded - you now seem to have gone to sleep.

Don't keep me waiting like this. Please?

Best wishes

Q

To Laurie and Everyone else

Laurie, the Questioner

You are asking about two different points in time.

Jesus preached this parable before he died for our sins on calvary. He had to explain to these people at the Mount of Olives how they could make it into heaven as it could be understood at that point in time. That was by good works and having God's law on their hearts (Romans 2:13-17) He did not mention to them that he would be sacrificed in a few days for their salvation. He left this up to the disciples to preach after his death, which is where you get all the other scriptures about having to accept Jesus's saving grace to get into Heaven. This is now the way into Heaven(Romans 3:21-26). If you[people in general] have truly accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, have been babtized in the name of God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, and use Bible teachings to guide you through a righteous life, you should have no problem doing good deeds.

Like I said before Jesus left it up to his disciples to explain salvation thru him. Paul does a very good job of this in the book of Romans after Christ's death. He explains the "evolution" of Salvation from works to faith in the first 5 chapters and then explains further the newest and most imparative salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. I think you should read Romans and it should give you a better understanding.

The following verses might help you and others understand what is in store for people such as yourself. This is why we understand and choose to accept Jesus's saving grace instead of trying to make a mess of the Bible. This is why you will never convince us that the Bible is wrong:

1 Corinthians 1:18-2019 - For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discerment of the discerning I will thwart." Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

I hope also, since you believe that the way into Heaven is good works, that you have been doing these things. I implore you to take the next step and accept Jesus Christ as your savior and be baptized. It won't hurt. It definitely will not keep you out of Heaven, if that is really where you want to go.

Keisha

PS To those who like to debate about Evolution and Creationism: One is about science, the other is about faith. Therein exist the distinction and nowhere else. The creation story is not for us to understand how the animals, plants, earth, humans, were created, but for us to understand God's relationship with us, our relationship with eachother, our relationship with his other creations, where we stand on earth, and so on. It's neat to know how all the plants and animals evolved from unicellular microorganisms, to multicellular symbionts, to multicellular macroorganisms, to what they are today, but God quite frankly doesn't care. Man chases this wisdom and then allows it to defeat their faith in God, that is when God does start to care. But you can't let that happen. The Bible is not a science book. So please stop debating as if it is.

Reread the parable Keisha

Thanks for joining in the conversation and for your ingenious attempt to explain the parable.

But when you look at it Jesus says what will happen at the end of time when God judges all the nations. There is nothing at all to suggest that it applies to just those who hear him before the cross. ALL THE NATIONS means everyone surely?

Best Wishes

Laurie.

PS You are 100% right about evolution and Christianity. The Bible is not a book of science and there is only a contradiction for those who are foolish enough to take it literally.

COME VISIT US AT WWW.TRUTHONTHEWEB.ORG