TRUTH TALK FORUM:
Return to Website

WELCOME! A place where iron can sharpen iron, where spiritual milk and strong meat may be shared and received by all, where scripture can be expounded, where truth and love may be seen by the world.

To post: email totw@truthonthewb.org from your email address and ask for the password. It will be changed from time-to-time as need arises. Thank you for posting here. God bless.

! ! ! ! Truth Talk Forum ! ! ! !</B>
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thanksgiving Day - Another Lie

Dear Friends,

I am glad to be back. Computer problems for some time now, but things are fixed now. In my usual style, I will start things off with a bang.

The Original Thanksgiving Day was in June. So much for the "Fall feast for a good harvest" idea we have been indoctrinated with.

=============================
THE FIRST THANKSGIVING PROCLAMATION - JUNE 20, 1676:

"The Holy God having by a long and Continual Series
of his Afflictive dispensations in and by the present Warr
with the Heathen Natives of this land, written and brought
to pass bitter things against his own Covenant people in this
wilderness, yet so that we evidently discern that in the midst
of his judgements he hath remembered mercy, having remembered
his Footstool in the day of his sore displeasure against us for
our sins, with many singular Intimations of his Fatherly Compassion,
and regard; reserving many of our Towns from Desolation Threatened,
and attempted by the Enemy, and giving us especially of late with
many of our Confederates many signal Advantages against them,
without such Disadvantage to ourselves as formerly we have been
sensible of, if it be the Lord's mercy that we are not consumed,
It certainly bespeaks our positive Thankfulness, when our Enemies
are in any measure disappointed or destroyed; and fearing the
Lord should take notice under so many Intimations of his
returning mercy, we should be found an Insensible people, as
not standing before Him with Thanksgiving, as well as lading
him with our Complaints in the time of pressing Afflictions:

The Council has thought meet to appoint and set apart the
29th day of this instant June, as a day of Solemn Thanksgiving
and praise to God for such his Goodness and Favour, many
Particulars of which mercy might be Instanced, but we doubt not
those who are sensible of God's Afflictions, have been as diligent
to espy him returning to us; and that the Lord may behold us as
a People offering Praise and thereby glorifying Him; the Council
doth commend it to the Respective Ministers, Elders and people
of this Jurisdiction; Solemnly and seriously to keep the same
Beseeching that being perswaded by the mercies of God we may all,
even this whole people offer up our bodies and soulds as a
living and acceptable Service unto God by Jesus Christ."

------------------------------------

The First Thanksgiving Proclamation (June 20, 1676)

On June 20, 1676, the governing council of Charlestown,
Massachusetts, held a meeting to determine how best to express
thanks for the good fortune that had seen their community
securely established. By unamimous vote they instructed
Edward Rawson, the clerk, to proclaim June 29 as a day of
thanksgiving, our first. That proclamation is reproduced here
in the same language and spelling as the original.

================================================
That's funny. I remember (growing up in Boston) depictions of pilgrims and indians sharing together in the day of thanks. It seems that the controlers have again cooked the (history) books.

With Faith and Love,
Ron Harvey

Email: rsnm10@hotmail.com

Re: Many other holidays - Another Lie

The same could be said of Christmas and Easter. However, even though the date may be off, should we just not celebrate these holidays? Sure, the original Thanksgiving didn't take place on the third Thursday of November, but why not have a day set aside to show that we are thankful? I don't care which day. Just because Christ was not necessarily born on December 25, does that mean that we ought to not allow people to think about the birth of Christ on that day? The same could be said of Easter.

It is just a holiday that has been set aside to give us all an excuse to get off from work and spend more time with our families. I'm all for it.

Deist

Re: Re: Many other holidays - Another Lie

Dear Deist,

Absolutely, Christmas and Easter are much bigger and more depraved lies than Turkey Day.

If you wish to observe the death of Christ, then keep Passover. That is when he died on the cross for the sins of the world.

The only men in the Bible who honored a birthday were Herod and Pharaoh. There is no command to celebrate the birth of Jesus. It is a pagan custom to celebrate a birthday; any birthday.

God commands us not to do as the heathen do. If you do, then you will have the same eternal punishment.

With Faith and Love,
Ron HArvey

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The same could be said of Christmas and Easter. However, even though the date may be off, should we just not celebrate these holidays? Sure, the original Thanksgiving didn't take place on the third Thursday of November, but why not have a day set aside to show that we are thankful? I don't care which day. Just because Christ was not necessarily born on December 25, does that mean that we ought to not allow people to think about the birth of Christ on that day? The same could be said of Easter.

It is just a holiday that has been set aside to give us all an excuse to get off from work and spend more time with our families. I'm all for it.

Deist

Re: Re: Re: Many other holidays - Another Lie

Wow! Talk about a "hell and ****ation" post. Sheesh!

First of all, if my rememberance is correct, the Passover is a Jewish feast commemorating the passing over of the angel of death over the houses that had the blood on the doorpost in ancient Egypt. The Passover has no meaning to Gentiles ... only Jews. However, the death of Christ has meaning to everyone -Jew and Gentile alike. Besides, everytime we keep the Lord's Supper, Paul says that "we show the Lord's death till He comes again", and we have record that they did this every first day of the week (Acts 20:7), not just on the Passover feast which only comes around once a year. So in reality, you are asking me to go back and observe the old Jewish holidays of which Paul said has no real meaning anymore for christians.

Now, please answer this ... why would God condemn someone to Hell because they chose to celebrate the birth and death and the salvation that His Son brought to everyone? If you know to do good, but cannot find a book, chapter, and verse to give you a direct command to do that good thing, do you just sit on your rear end and do nothing? Must you wait and be told before you can do any good? If so, I believe the Bible says .. "you wicked and lazy servant"!!!

"If you know to do good and don't do it, to you it is a sin." What is wrong with people thinking about Jesus Christ? Is it a sin to think about Jesus' birth? If so, then I guess we ought to just cut out of the Bible the first couple of chapters from Matthew and Luke since it deals with it.

What is wrong with thinking about the death of Christ on the cross? If it is wrong, then we ought to just get rid of the entire New Testament since that is what christianity is based on.

Are you Jewish? You certainly sound like it. Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God? Have you ever asked Him to come into your heart and save you from your sins? If not, then you are eternally lost. I will pray for you.

Deist

Holy Days and holidays

Dear Deist,

You must not remember me. I have posted he before things that make this last post look like a big smiley face. I take no pleasure in excoriating anyone, but the people who say they know their God need to be awakened from the sleep of death.

Regarding the Passover; Let me guess. You think that the Laws of God were ALL nailed to the cross, right? This is not true. Do you know the Bible? Does this verse ring a bell?

1Corinthians 5:8 "Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth."

Paul telling the people to keep the feast of Passover??? How could this be? I'm so confused!!!

You said "The Passover has no meaning to Gentiles ... only Jews." How on earth can you make this statement when the verse just before the one above says "For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:"?? Jesus was the passover lamb upon which all our sins were placed. Jesus was the sacrifice whose blood made attonement for the sins of the people. The blood of the Lord is placed upon the doorposts of our hearts so that the death angel will pass by.

I will answer your question. God hates mixture.

When the children of Israel came out of Egypt, they made a molten calf and then said "To morrow is a feast unto the Lord" (Ex 32:5) [That reminds me of the roasted turkey that everyone is gathered around today]. God was so angry that he told Moses to get out of his way so that he could destroy the entire people. God hated the mixture of worship for him with the worship of other gods, but he was gracious and only killed 3000 of them.

1John 2:21 "I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth." Remember; God hates mixture. When you take his truth and mix it with a lie, you create something that is more abominable than the lie by itself. If december 25 is not the true birthday of Jesus and you celebrate as if it is, then you have mixed truth and untruth. If you call november 27 a day of thanksgiving and you go to the ballgame on TV and you stuff yourself to the point of bursting, you have mixed again. If you say that God is love, and you forget that he hates, you have mixed even more. God is looking for pure worship, not the mixed Baal and "christian" worship that is produced by the churches today.

You asked "Must you wait and be told before you can do any good?" What you must do is to search the scriptures to see if any thing be so. What you must do is to hear when the word of the Lord comes to your ears. Hear ye the word of the LORD; Come out of her my people, lest you be partakers of her sins and be subject to the same wrath.

You asked "What is wrong with people thinking about Jesus Christ?" Where in the name of God did you get that? We must always have our minds on the Messiah Jesus Christ and his soon return. It is not wrong to think on the birth of the Lord, but it is dead wrong to celebrate his birth with great festivity.

I am not Jewish, my friend. I am not catholic, nor baptist, nor AG, nor UPC, nor any of the other abominable religions on the face of the earth. I am saved by the blood of Jesus, who died as the propitiation of my sins. I am a Christian, saved by grace through faith.

With Faith and Love,
Ron Harvey

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Wow! Talk about a "hell and ****ation" post. Sheesh!

First of all, if my rememberance is correct, the Passover is a Jewish feast commemorating the passing over of the angel of death over the houses that had the blood on the doorpost in ancient Egypt. The Passover has no meaning to Gentiles ... only Jews. However, the death of Christ has meaning to everyone -Jew and Gentile alike. Besides, everytime we keep the Lord's Supper, Paul says that "we show the Lord's death till He comes again", and we have record that they did this every first day of the week (Acts 20:7), not just on the Passover feast which only comes around once a year. So in reality, you are asking me to go back and observe the old Jewish holidays of which Paul said has no real meaning anymore for christians.

Now, please answer this ... why would God condemn someone to Hell because they chose to celebrate the birth and death and the salvation that His Son brought to everyone? If you know to do good, but cannot find a book, chapter, and verse to give you a direct command to do that good thing, do you just sit on your rear end and do nothing? Must you wait and be told before you can do any good? If so, I believe the Bible says .. "you wicked and lazy servant"!!!

"If you know to do good and don't do it, to you it is a sin." What is wrong with people thinking about Jesus Christ? Is it a sin to think about Jesus' birth? If so, then I guess we ought to just cut out of the Bible the first couple of chapters from Matthew and Luke since it deals with it.

What is wrong with thinking about the death of Christ on the cross? If it is wrong, then we ought to just get rid of the entire New Testament since that is what christianity is based on.

Are you Jewish? You certainly sound like it. Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God? Have you ever asked Him to come into your heart and save you from your sins? If not, then you are eternally lost. I will pray for you.

Deist

Re: Holy Days and holidays

I occasionally surf through here and as far as I'm concerned, holidays serve no function other than to allow people with families to engage in gathers where they either enjoy each others company or bicker incessantly. Either way, who cares? Why not just enjoy the day off from work, eat some turkey or ham, and be done with it? As I see it, we can find fault with just about anything in the world if we put our minds to it.

If you say God is a God of Love and forgets that he hates you have mixed even more.

Or so you say but if God really is a God of Love he will not 'hate' anything except those things that oppose Love. If you do not see that you are mixed up because you do not see that love cannot hate. That is why I put 'hate' in inverted commas. God opposes, is sad about, deplores anything that is anti-love but he cannot hate it.

Jesus said that we were to love our enemies. Do you really think that God does not practise what he preaches. Do not reply please with a load of verses where God seems to hate. They just show that the writer has got it wrong/ Lots of people do so far as God is concerned!

A God of Love will not consign anyone to Hell, A God of love would never condemn a person who did not believe in him [particlarly as his existence is not at all obvious] A God of Love would never condemn two people who love each other just because they happen to be of the same sex. The parable of the sheep and goats makes it quite clear what God condemns - those that do not visit the sick and the prisoner etc, that is those that do not display love! Perhaps those that have rejected love really do go to Hell of there own volition. But I doubt that a loving father would not give them another chance - did not Jesus say we had to forgive our brother without limit? I cannot imagine that God would do anything less for us!

Best wishes

Q

Email: mgt.harris@btinternet.com

COME VISIT US AT WWW.TRUTHONTHEWEB.ORG