The Genealogical Query feature is provided for you to request information - from other visitors to the website - on your O'Sullivan and Sullivan ancestors, and for you to provide assistance to others.

Note: All postings dated 3/8/2001 through 3/13/2001 were transferred from a previous O'Sullivan Lineage site. The date of the original posting is identified in the message text.

JIMO-SULLIVAN.NET Genealogical
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Patrick Sullivan b.1824ca Cork

I've been researching my gt-gt-grandfather Patrick Sullivan for many years now, with limited success. I found him originally in the 1861 and 1871 censuses of England, living in Hulme, Manchester. He was a journeyman shoemaker. I knew that his wife was called Mary Kelleher (although she appears on certificates with a variety of spellings - probably because of Patrick's accent and registrars' ears!)
The only info on the censuses was that Patrick (and Mary) was born in Cork - no indication of town or parish etc). It's clear from the censuses that he was born in 1824 and it's also clear(ish) that Mary was born in 1827.
Their first two children Timothy and Elizabeth were born in 1850 and 1852 respectively, in Waterford.
Their next child, Patrick was born in Hulme, Manchester in 1854 - so I presume they came to England in or around 1853. They went on to have Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Catherine and finally, my gt-grandfather, John Cornelius in 1867. (A couple of others died on the way).
I've never been able to pinpoint either of them within Ireland until perhaps recently, when I discovered a free Irish search facility which covers Kilmurry and a few other places.
I did a search for Patrick Sullivan and Mary Kelleher and though I didn't find any reference to their marriage, I did find one Marriage record from 1844 which lists Patrick Sullivan as the witness for the groom, and Mary Keleher as the witness for the bride.
Now, after many years I'm aware that there could be many, many couples with the same names, but it is tempting to hope that these two are my relatives.
If anyone can shed any light on Patrick and Mary, I would be very grateful. If you want to see more details of their family and their life in Manchester, my simple website can be seen at www.sullivanweb.co.uk
If you look, please don't forget to sign my guestbook.

Best wishes,

John B. Sullivan